Saturday, July 21, 2007

Finishing Up Our Release Cycle

At my company we just finished development of our major product and are finally shipping the new version. I have to say that I'm pretty happy that the release cycle is beginning to come to a close. There is nothing more boring or soul-sucking then fixing bug after boring bug.

As would be expected from just about any software project, our project shipped about four months later than our originally intended target. I'm pretty lucky to work in a field which isn't extremely time critical. The four month slip wasn't met with huge disdain. Our product was almost three years in the making so four months wasn't the end of the world.

Honestly, even though we had many problems, I think our release went/is going pretty well. Early in the dev cycle we could have and should have written more validations, we should have tried harder to create a more detailed spec of what we wanted the product to do. However overall I'm pretty pleased with the result.

So when you read those crazy statistics about how 30% of projects fail and 50% have serious problems, I'm happy to say our project fell in the 20% success category.

No comments: